I have a certified obsession with smoothie bowls. Take a smoothie and top it with delicious, antioxidant rich toppings, add a dose of protein and your post workout smoothie is ten times better! However, store-bought smoothie bowls are expensive, higher in sugar, and will often charge extra to add protein or greens.
Along with the high price, many store-bought smoothie bowl can have more calories than an ice cream cone or a hamburger at a fast food restaurant. To ensure that I am creating a nutrient dense instead of a calorie dense smoothie bowl, I follow 3 main rules:
- Non-juice base
I accomplish this by starting with a water base, 2 heaping handfuls of greens, and addition of a protein source (protein powder, almonds, Greek yogurt). This ensures that my smoothie is nutrient dense, slowing digestion and stabilizing my blood sugars to keep me satisfied until my next meal.
- 1 packet frozen acai (I purchased mine at Whole Foods)
- 2 heaping handfuls spinach/kale or greens of your choice
- 1 scoop protein powder
- 1/4 c frozen pineapple
- 1/4 c frozen peaches
- 1/4 c frozen berries
- 1/4 piece frozen banana
- 1/2 c water
- 1/4 c unsweetened almond milk
- 1 TBS chia seeds + more for topping
- 1/4 gluten free granola (I’m obsessed with Boulder Granola and Purely Elizabeth granola)
- Fruit of your choice (since it’s summer, I’m obsessing over peaches and nectarines with berries! YUM)
- Goji berries, hemp seeds,
- Run acai packet under cool, running water for 20 seconds. Break acai into pieces and add to blender bottle, along with frozen fruit, water, and chia seeds.
- Add almond milk by the tablespoon.
- Blend smoothie. It should be thicker than a drinkable smoothie. If smoothie mixture is too thick, add more almond milk.
- Once blended to desired consistency, pour into a bowl.
- Top with granola, and add sliced fresh fruit on top. Sprinkle with goji berries, hemp seeds, and chia seeds.
If you make your own smoothie bowl, experiment with different fruits and toppings. The different combinations are endless and each bowl will be delicious!
Let me know if you make your own smoothie bowl.