I made the mistake a few nights ago of making a dinner using only the oven…in the middle of summer…when it’s hot…and my apartment is small. So to move past my momentary lapse of judgement, I made dinner the following night and refused to even turn my stove on!
This fennel salad is cool, crisp, and refreshing with the – perfect for warm summer days when the mercury is rising with no end in sight. I had an AMAZING fennel salad at Love and Salt in Manhattan Beach and since then, I’ve tried my best to recreate it.
Fennel can seem intimidating- the fronds! How do I cut it? I hate black licorice! However, once you learn how to cut the bulb (here’s a great how to video from Martha Stewart) and find a great recipe, you’re ready to incorporate fennel into your diet.
Want more fennel info? Check out Cooking Light for more details and to find some recipes.
Shaved Fennel and Parmesan Salad
- 2 bulbs fennel, de-cored
- 1/4 c shaved parmesan
- 1-2 TBS olive oil
- juice from half of a lemon
- fresh cracked sea salt and ground black pepper
- fennel fronds, minced
- Using a mandoline slicer or a sharp knife, thinly slice or shave fennel. For best results, aim to cut the fennel nearly paper thin
- Add parmesan, a healthy drizzle of olive oil and lemon juice. Season with 1/2 tsp salt and 1 tsp black pepper. Sprinkle with minced fennel fronds and stir to combine
- Let sit in the refrigerator for 1 hour. Tastes even better the next day.